Saturday, January 8, 2022

2022 Character Creation Challenge - Day 7

I promise I was gonna do another T2K character - a mechanic nicknamed Tough Nuts, and yes, I served with a Motor Sergeant who called EVERYONE that he outranked Tough Nuts.  A good mechanic, a good man.

My intent was to make a character sheet for Tough Nuts, but my first attempt was discouraging.

Since its a Friday night and I am in my cups listening to Tom Waits, some form of bard seems appropriate. (EDIT - I fell asleep before finishing and posting this PC.)

Or perhaps a 5e Kenku - the perfect race for trolling, with their 'curse' of limited speech patterns - that only speaks in Tom Waits lyrics.  Yes, let's do that.  It seems fitting, after all.

Blast! There are several guides and generators for Kenku that don't actually deal with the mechanics, which is the whole point of a generator - goals and backgrounds are easy, compared to math.

I guess I'll roll my own.  4d6 drop lowest for stats: 17, 12, 12, 12, 13, 10; racial bonuses: +2 dex, +1 wis.  I realize that the main reason I dislike newer RPGs is that the PC creation takes so long, so I will stick to level 1 for this wandering birdman. 

Art by carakav on DeviantArt

Tom Waits-for-no-man Kenku Rogue 1

S 12 +1

D 19 +4

C 12 +1

I 13 +1 

W 11 0

Ch 12 +1 

Current XP:  0    XP needed: 301

AC 15

HP 6

Racial Skills: Expert Forgery, Kenku Training (Deception, Stealth), Mimicry, can only speak using Mimicry (the trollish part of this race)

Class Skills: Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieves Cant

Equipment: leather armor, daggers, rapier, adventurer's kit, writing tools, megaphone, bad liver, broken heart


Tetracube suggests this for a background; after a small amount of editing, it works for me.

Occupation: Wanderer

Trait: I always want to know how things work and what makes people tick.

Flaw: I must have the last word.

Guilty pleasure: The chance to deflate someone's ego.

Became a rogue because: kept questionable company while an impressionable youth; it turns out I am good at deceit and general fuckery.  Cryptic speech patterns perpetuate my mystery.

Appearance: nondescript, even for a kenku.

Values: Live and let live; drawn to a special place

Secret: I know where certain bodies are buried, figuratively and metaphorically. 


While putting this Kenku together, I found several PC generators, but they stick to PHB races.  I imagine that something exists behind a paywall, because it doesn't make sense for it to not exist.

For the record, I am the player content to download one of the WotC pregenerated PCs and use that for a campaign, because it beats doing math.  I'm here to play DnD, and any paper person will do.




No comments: