Sunday, January 30, 2022

2022 Character Creation Challenge - Day 28

Wizards!

I suspect that I'm addicted to rolling up the random starter spells for AD&D magic-users.


Anyhow, Method I should net me a magic-user: 9, 15, 14, 12, 11, 12.  

This works, but let's try again: 11, 13, 15, 10, 12, 10

Hellfire.  The PHB recommendation haunts me.  A third try: 12, 10, 11, 12, 15, 8

14, 14, 15, 14, 9, 16. The fourth set meets the PHB admonition of 2 scores above 15, so I'm keeping it.  


Verdurian the Envious, NE Human Magic-User 3

S 9 - open doors 1-2, bend bars/lift gates 1%

I 16 - 5 additional languages, 8th level spells max, chance to know spell 65%, 7/11 min/max spells/lvl

W 14 - none

D 15 - -1 defensive adjustment

C 14 - system shock survival 88%, resurrection survival 92%

Ch 14 - 6 henchmen max, +5% loyalty base, +10% reaction adjustment

Current XP: 7,500       XP needed: 10,001

HP 10

AC 9

Languages Known: Common, Dragon, Elf, Giant

Spell Known: 

1st- Friends, Protection from Evil, Message, Read Magic, Unseen Servant, Charm Person

2nd- Web, ESP

Equipment: letter of introduction from master; dagger, mustache cream (to keep mustache properly twirlable), adventuring gear, wand of magic missiles, potion of gaseous form

History and Goals: A student of history, Verdurian is fascinated by the wizard Bargle the Infamous, a fascination that has led to Verdurian mimicking many of Bargle's odious habits of selfish evil and wicked displays of power for its own sake.  Verdurian's main goal is to live with no responsibilities beyond his own whims and plans.  If people die along the way, so be it.

Being a student of history, Verdurian is also a traditionalist, with a mustache he twirls and the adoption of slightly ridiculous attire to signify how he, as a magic-user, is above the common people and their fashions and such.

-----

Kind DM strikes, once again, providing a miscellaneous spell to her favored apprentice.  It occurs to me that having players create (in part) their magic-user's master would provide more player buy-in, as well as build my world for me.  Kind of like using the I know a guy houserule preemptively.





No comments: