Monday, February 22, 2021

Monday MtG: Xenagos, God of Revels

Xenagos, God of Revels


Xenagod began as a built-to-order deck for an acquaintance.  He wanted cheap (money-wise) beatdown, and that is what he got.  It worked well enough, and evidence of its origins is still found in the deck (Yavimaya Wurm, in particular).  Still, in the end, he returned it rather than pay.  

So I made some changes and made it my own.  It could use several other changes, but like most of my decks, it likely won't see them.  Several of the changes I did make involved infinite attack steps, because why not?  

Aggravated Assault or Hellkite Charger paired with Bear Umbra, Nature's Will, or Savage Ventmaw can make for a fast game.  Sword of Feast and Famine would also help this plan, but my sole copy is in another deck.

Now, when I call Xenagos a cheap beatdown deck, it is metaphorically cheap, because I run infect and the above methods to generate infinite attacks.  Both of these perfectly legal and viable routes to victory can make some Magic players sad.  

As an added bonus, the instants in this deck are played properly and to the detriment of my opponents, unlike how I play Blue.  Speaking of instants, this deck runs some of my favorites: Hunter's Instinct and Berserk.  Be careful with Hunter's Insight and multiple attack steps, however, as it is possible to get carried away and draw ALL the cards.


A note about Decimate and Xenagos.  Decimate requires all four targets to be cast.  Xenagos provides two of them in a pinch, and being indestructible, laughs all the while.

Adding the links to cards in this post really brings home the fact that Magic the Gathering, be it Commander format or not, will never be a cheap game to get into.  The secondary market peddling singles may keep game stores solvent, but it also ensures that Magic remains a pay-to-play game.   

Decklist 

No comments: