Monday, March 14, 2022

Monday MtG: Xyris, the Writhing Storm

I finally built the Xyris deck I mentioned months ago.  Decklist.

Between then and now, I'd set aside cards for the eventual deck.  Now that it is landed and sleeved, I want a game.

My focus for the deck is wheels and tokens.  The colors allow for Impact Tremors, Purphoros, Pandemonium, Mana EchoesParallel Lives, and Primal Vigor.

But no Doubling Season - that is in another deck.

If I cannot kill opponents as the tokens come into play, I'll need to do so in combat, so Overrun and Triumph of the Hordes are here.  If combat fails, I have Throne of the God-Pharaoh, powered by Cryptolith Rite and eventually Kyren Negotiations.  I say eventually because I cannot find my copy.

So my token hordes should carry the day.


But to ensure I get tokens, wheels are a must.  Luckily, my collection is deep enough to allow me access to the best wheels. This automatically pushes the deck into nonbudget land.  

I'm running Wheel of Fortune, Magus of the Wheel, Windfall, Jace's Archivist, Teferi's Puzzle Box, Winds of Change, and Wheel and Deal, among several others.  Anything to see lots of tokens hit the board.



All those tokens means Mana Echoes promises to be ridiculous, so I added X-spells to the deck.  Prosperity and Tempt with Vengeance look to be the most fun, but there are others.  



Lastly, among the 99 are Niv-Mizzet and some of his regular companions: Curiosity, Ophidian Eye, Mindmoil, and Arjun. Green provides Snake Umbra and Keen Sense, so they are in, as well. I'm not against infinite combos.  I'm merely against tutoring up the pieces, preferring to draw into them - this just feels right.

Overall, this is an expensive deck.  I don't know that it could be effectively built on a budget due to the value of the support card strategies. If I were starting Magic today, I certainly would not (and could not!) afford this deck as is.  Three cheers for being old!

No comments: