Friday, June 11, 2021

PC Backgrounds and the Frankengame

I am sorely tempted to implement this in my Frankengame ruleset, but it implies a system that doesn't provide regular feats and stat boosts with leveling, ala' 3.x and 5e.  I'm good with that, but it pushes my Frankengame closer to B/X than before.  

Something I am also good with.  

From Moldvay Basic, 1981, artist uncertain.

PC background – Roll on the Failed Careers table (from Ten Foot Polemic: 200 Failed Medieval Careers).   Each time you level, roll on the Retroactive Background Table (from Ten Foot Polemic: 1d100 Retroactive Backstory). As the game progresses, use of the I Know a Guy rule can expand character background, perhaps tied into the Retroactive Backstory. 

Tied to backgrounds is the PC's astrological sign, from New Big Dragon Games.  The linked post references a d12 with Zodiac signs on it, but a normal d12 would suffice.  As an aside, New Big Dragon Games has lots of great BX supplemental rules.

Then there is the matter of Faith.  For Clerics (and Paladins, if I include them), it is of utmost importance, but for other classes, not so much.  

I haven't decided upon a pantheon yet, and would be happy letting players choose/design their own deities on the fly.  

So I guess that is for another post.



No comments: