Friday, June 11, 2021

DCC and the Frankengame

Compiling various houserules to run the game I want to run has led me to DCC, and it has lots to borrow: the mighty deeds, the entire magic system, the lovely random tables, and the flavor.  

Honestly, about the only thing I might dislike about DCC is the additional funny dice and that is because I feel I own enough dice - heresy, I know!

The cover of the comprehensive rules tome; the hardback holds a (large) place of pride on my bookshelf.

So the question I am asking myself, is why not run a full blown DCC game and be done with it?  I have the rules in pdf, so providing players with copies is trivial.  I have reams of adventures for DCC, initially for idea-mining, but I can run them as-is, as well.

Finding the players prove the issue.   Where I live are lots of gamers, but from what I can tell, most are 5e, which is the system they have grown used to.  Nothing wrong with that - my Frankengame certainly uses advantage/disadvantage from it, and the Ghosts of Saltmarsh book is a lovely addition to my shelf (but I am a Saltmarsh fanboy, so that may bias me).  I've run and played 5e, and it works, despite being too super-heroic for my tastes.

I can do a rough survey and find out.  

Then its a question of time.

Edit:  HERE is a fairly thorough review of DCC.
 

No comments: