Sunday, June 16, 2024

Making the Most of a Cancelled Session

Our second session was cancelled due to reasons, so I invested the time in working on my DM binder.

By DM Binder, I mean the 1.25 inch binder filled with document protectors that I can use as a reference without flipping through multiple books, a pile of printed pages, or bookmarked websites.  

While I already had a pile of printouts, I also did some research on FB, which led me to these threads on ENWorld.  There is also this post at the excellent blog Don't Split the Party about pregame prep and available tools to make me feel inadequate in my preps.  

As I write this, I realize that I will need to divide it into two parts: running the game and building adventures.  Maybe even subdivide them by general, urban, wilderness, dungeon - although I shouldn't need the wilderness for the foreseeable future.

Since I am currently running a B/X game, my focus is on what will help me running those games.

-----

In no particular order are:

A one-page of major house rules.

A one-page of the various ways PCs can gain XP.

The tables from the Gamemaster Screen from New Big Dragon Games Unlimited (worth the money); they are just all the B/X charts in one spot for ease of use.

A list of random names, 20 each for Humans/Halflings, Dwarves, and Elves.

A running list of encountered names and places.

The d20 list of what a failed save at carousing brings you from Jeff's Gameblog.

A dynamic list of rumors - my goal is to keep it at d30 and eventually incorporate PC antics.

The Hazard System v.03 from Necropraxis.

Lists of Smells and Sounds from Dungeons and Dragons Colour - lots of d100 lists there, both for keying a location as well as the more random things the party encounters.  I use these two for when a 1 isn't rolled on the hazard check.

Telecanter's Voices, Creepy Combat Commentary, What You Did While You Were a Werewolf, and What Are the Monsters Doing.

Several of the d100 tables from d4 Caltrops, particularly d100 Tells for Traps, but also Why This Hireling Decided to Join, This Secret Door Opens..., Why is This Door Stuck?, Where is the Key for This Locked Door?, So You've Been Brought Back from the Dead..., Rumored Remedies for Curses/Energy Drain, and Magical Mishaps & Calamitous Curses.  

Speaking of curses, I found these Random Curses at Dyson's Dodecahedronn - other cool things there, as well.  For example, his character sheets, which we use.

Six Tables of Unusual Kit from Another Hamsterish Hoard - for when bodies are searched.

Since B/X doesn't have an Identify spell, I have this for inspiration from Archade's Tower; I don't use it as-is (it's written for DCC), but the ideas are sound.

I find all of these useful both for things that have happened as well as things that may happen down in the depths, as well as the city streets.

As might be imagined, this is a definite work-in-progress, but I wanted to share.  

Also, it looks like I will need a larger binder, and certainly more document protectors.

-----

In addition, I created two smaller folders for my players, who only know 5e.  It's mostly just the chart compilation in my binder, a page on how to earn XP, a page of big house rules, and the spell options.

What's in your binder?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing resource thank you for putting it together and sharing