Monday, April 5, 2021

Monday MtG: Decks on the Horizon

We actually got to play two weekends past, and the social aspect alone was worth the time.  Seeing some of my revamped decks do their victorious thing was icing on the cake.

Of course, nothing I personally piloted won, but Sygg and Phenax did, the latter twice.  Some of the new mill cards are brutal, especially against players that don't run the original Eldrazi titans.  Speaking of which, Kozilek and its annihilator 4 resulted in at least one round of scoops when it dropped early game.

And people wonder why I have built exile tribal in the past.  Its because of dumb shit like this.

Anyhow, another game promises to happen later this month, so the bug has firmly bit, and the last of this year's single cards have been ordered - to include at least two that I am convinced I own, but apparently not.  I wonder if they were in the batch of cards I sold several years back.  Regardless, these decks are all in various planning stages:

Zedruu the Greathearted - I've built it before, but now have Alhammarret's Archive to run alongside the goat. While there are some Good and Bad Santa tricks planned (driven by artwork), this is an excuse to run Radiate and several cards that will be dumb alongside Radiate, notably Generous Gift, Friendly Fire, Arcbond, and Fractured Identity.  Yes, I prefer a ridiculous draw that might backfire, over a clean win, any day.

Oloro, Ageless Ascetic - another I have had before, but I want to run an artifact deck for awhile and this one works best for my purposes.  Another deck for Alhammarret's Archive, so this one may shift to the end of the list.

The Scarab God - zombie tribal.  This deck is probably 80% done, to include necessaries like Paradox Haze as well as pet cards, like the Drowned.  Art like that should see play more often.  

Requiescat In Pace, Quinton Hoover - you had a gift for drawing and colors.

The Scorpion God - once cards leave standard, they often drop to more affordable levels.  The cards from Amonkhet have reached that point, so now they are buildable by me.  Plus, draw in the command zone is a good thing.

Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons - she was all the rage a few years back, but now its my turn.  BG is one of my favorite color schemes, if only for the synergy of Perilous Forays and Bloodghast.  Too bad the key snake card - Seshiro the Anointed - is nearly $20.  Beyond Hapatra, it slips neatly into Xyris and Kaseto decks - two more decks I'd like to build one day.  

Xyris, the Writhing Storm - wheel and snake tribal! Tokens! The perfect excuse to pick up Growing Rites of Italmoc, because Gaea's Cradle is long gone and forever beyond budget.  Damn! Growing Rites is (unsurprisingly) $30ish.  

Zurgo Helmsmasher - I already own Worldslayer and some instants that make my team indestructible, so why not?  In the end, Zurgo is definitely a 'win through commander damage' commander who needs haste to survive.  Plus, I don't know that I have ever played this color scheme before, so that alone may push the construction of this deck up in priorities.  


A small part of me wonders if finding a BRG Commander (Thantis Warweaver, maybe) to run The Scorpion God and Hapatra and all their -1/-1 tricks might be worth it, or if they need to be in the command zone for the tricks to truly work.  I do know that there is heavy overlap in the black -1/-1 cards, so I can only have one built at a time.  This would let me run Destructive Flow, which has always excited me with its possibilities.  

Then again, making use of partners or Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder to run Destructive Flow alongside the various blue methods of copying enchantments and upkeeps.  


Which leads me to reconsider how I store my unused commanders.  There are more than a few commanders that are niche enough that the only reason I own certain cards is to support those commanders.  This won't really hamper my current color-storage method, as I skim past those cards, anyhow.  

These are the MtG plans for the next year or two.  

I'd rather be playing D&D, but that requires a more reliable schedule than I can provide.



1 comment:

Garruk said...

Nice to see the ol’ cogs turning again.